Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Affect/Effect

Affect means to have an influence on or effect a change in. Effect means something brought about by a cause or agent; a result, and the power to produce an outcome or achieve a result; to influence. I have really started to wonder how should our spirituality affect and effect the world around us? I mean were we all sent here to just get "saved" and sent back to were we came from to begin with? What kind of project would that be? What would be the point of that? Our relationship with God should have some kind of impact, not only on our self, but on everything and everyone around us. What would happen to the world if people who claim to be Christ followers actually practiced and made application of Jesus' words on a moment by moment basis? You think there would be a large affect and effect. Jesus gave us everything there was to do in two sentences. There really is not any need to know anymore of scripture other than this:

When the Pharisees heard how he had bested the Sadducees, they gathered their forces for an assault. One of their religion scholars spoke for them, posing a question they hoped would show him up: "Teacher, which command in God's Law is the most important?"
Jesus said, "'Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.' This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.' These two commands are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hangs from them."
Matthew 22:34-40
Really what would happen if we truly loved ourselves and then truly loved others? I guess this really depends on what your definition of love is. I know that most people who say they are a Christ follower would say that love is unconditional. I know that that is something we like to tell ourselves, but really have a hard time following. We react to things that people do. We have a hard time accepting one another unless they are just like us. We place conditions, aware of them or not, on what will gain our love. Some people actually have a list of requirements to be a Christian that includes more than a belief in Christ and the commandments above. Sounds like what the pharisees did - added to commandments, just to make sure.
What would happen if we just truly loved? I mean really just loved, all people all the time? Would there be an affect? Would there be an effect? Would change really take place in this world? I believe with all that I am - yes! I know that this is a risky action to take. I mean to really love everybody - really? To stop making judgements about other's motives and behaviors. To really sit down and listen to them like you would like to be listened to. To really begin to have compassion with all people of all races and all religions. I know I am an idealist (but I believe Jesus was too) and that some people will never do the same with us. Does that mean I join them in their hatred or anger thereby having no affect/effect and letting them have all the affect/effect? Or do I hold to what I believe about love and just do that, trusting that Jesus was telling the truth and this is the way we have affect/effect? I choose to believe and hold to the ideal of love.
Namaste'

No comments: