Saturday, December 08, 2007

Serenity

Serenity refers to an absence of agitation. How often am I serene? I believe that we can use this as a measure of our connection to God. I specifically say that we can use it, because others really do not know if we have an absence of agitation or not because most of the time our fears, our worries, our frustrations, and our resentments live in our head and we never let anyone know about them. If we are absent of agitiation, then we are at peace. This seems like such a hard place to actually be internally in our lives, especially at this time of the year. We worry about the financial problems we may be facing with Christmas coming. We are faced with our grief and loss all over again as family and friends begin to gather to celebrate the holiday season. We get frustrated with being busy and not really being able to enjoy the season. We make numerous trips to the mall and the stores waiting in traffic and long lines to purchase things. We are far from peace at the time of the year that we are to be celebrating the God of peace coming to us. Jesus said to us:

"I've told you all this so that trusting me, you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace. In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I've conquered the world." John 16:33
We need to remember that in the world, in the physical body we have, we will expereince "problems." There is always something to be concerned about, think about, and plan for. However, I know that if we realize that we are truly spiritual beings with God's spirit in us, problems can be transformed into reminders. They are reminders that we are a child of God and this father will always care for children. They are reminders that we are dead and our life is God's to live. They are reminders that God works everything out to perfection, whether I understand it or not. They are reminders to be careless in the care of God. They are reminders for me to look and see if I am taking on God's discipline and instruction. They are reminders to act wisely, love unconditionally, and surrender to the Creator of the universe. Problems are opportunities to connect to God, rather than events that lead us to agitation.
So how will you choose today and through the season to see your problems? Will you choose and plug into the peace the world attempts to give through worry about things and others opinions? Will you choose and plug into God's spirit realizing and recognizing who you really are? I know that when I realize who I am, really am, serenity and peace are my companions. Connect to God today, practice peace, give love.
"But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.
“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid."
John 14:26-27
Namaste'

No comments: