Friday, December 28, 2007

Rest

Jesus offers us real rest. We all find our lives, both the physical and the spiritual, hard and tiresome at times. We all work so hard to keep up, do the right things and somehow make God and others love us. However, Jesus reminded us of this:

“Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
What does Jesus mean when he asking up to take his yoke upon us? We have to remember that Jesus was taught and trained as a Jewish Rabbi. When children were brought up in the Jewish faith they where taught to memorize the entire Old Testament. If they could do this and prove that they were worthy enough to keep studying they would be chosen by a Rabbi to come and study under them. If they were not "worthy" enough to be chosen by a rabbi, they returned to the family and worked in the family business. If you took on this task of learning under a certain teacher or rabbi, you were said to be taking on his yoke. You would learn that teacher's teaching about the scriptures and you would pass on his teachings, his yoke, to the future generations. Jesus is telling us here that his teaching is easy and that the burden of learning it is light. I love the Message translation of the above verses:
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
I love the phrase "Learn the unforced rhythmns of grace." Jesus' teachings are unforced, his love has a rhythm that is easy to catch onto. We need to keep company with Christ and learn how easy living in conncection to God can be. It is not a life of religion and rule keeping to make God love us. It is not a life of striving, trying, and motivation. It is a life of love, ease, and inspiration. Motivation being that I know that if I do not do something good things will not happen. Inspiration being that I know that if I do certain things good thins will happen. Are you getting inspired from your connection to God or are you being motivated? Motivation is a tiring process. I must figure why I must do something and make sure that I do it to avoid negative things from happening. Inspiration is a restful, freeing process. I do what comes naturally, what God has placed in my heart and I act on it and find joy, peace, and rest.
Walk with Christ today. Allow God's love to do it's work of unforced rhythms. Try not to get in the way or swim against the current of the unforced rhythms of grace. When we swim up stream, against the current, we are tired and worn out. Go with God's rhythms. Allow. It is peaceful and easy to float with the current down the stream. Realize God is right here right now. Recognize that you are a spiritual being and God is working all things for your good. Take on the Christ's yoke and simply love God, yourself and others. (Matthew 26:36-40) The rest of what you need to do will fall into place if you rest there and allow.
Namaste'

No comments: