Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Mindfulness

"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." Matthew 6:34
How often do we spend the day we have, the moment we have right now, thinking about tomorrow? How many times I have missed the wonderful moment I am in because my mind is in the future that I have absolutely no control over. The reality is that we are promised only one thing and that is the moment that you are currently living in. I love the statement Jesus gives us at the beginning of this verse, "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now." God is always at work, the spirit of the Creator everywhere. In each moment there are no accidents or coincidences, only God at work in the present moment.
We are so scared of missing out on something that we do miss out on the current moment. We are so worried and concerned about what may or may not happen that we attempt to control it through our thoughts about the future. This is really only worry because there is absolutely nothing that can be done about this afternoon, until this afternoon get here. We are so scared that we may miss something if we do not think ahead, that we do miss something. We miss God working right now! Mindfulness is a psychological practice, and I believe a spiritual one also, that says I must be aware of this present moment. When I eat, I know that I am eating. When I am sitting I know that I am sitting. When I am walking I know that I am walking. How aware are each of us of the activity that we are currently doing at this moment? How many of us are reading this, but thinking about what we have to do next, rather than just being in the moment aware that we are reading?
I know of no other way to be connected to God except in this moment. To know that God is within me, around me, and everywhere. When I am mindful I see God in everything and everyone. I take time to actually "be" where I am, rather than be physically present, but my mind somewhere else. This helps us to become aware of how we are actually acting, thinking, and feeling in each moment. This actually gives us the opportunity to change. If I am not aware that my tire is flat on my car and drive on it because I am just concerned about getting to the next place I need to be - so I miss out on a moment to be mindful and aware of now - I drive on a flat tire. What happens? If I drive on it long enough the tire will shred, tearing up the wheel and fender, allowing the metal to contact the ground and do more damage to the entire car. At some point I will have to notice what is happening, it can't be avoided.
Isn't this how we live our lives at times? We have an issue, we have something we need to be aware of at this moment. It could be something to enjoy or something to attend to, but we miss it because we are so concerned about missing something that may happen later. We are left wanting and waiting with things becoming worse or with us telling ourselves that we will never gain happiness, but it just passed us in that moment. There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
What I'm trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don't be afraid of missing out. You're my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself. Luke 12:29-32
Practice being mindful today. Take each moment in. When you eat lunch be aware of each bite, know you are eating. When you walk be aware that you are walking. When you are talking to your friend or family member, give them your full attention and really hear what they are saying. Imitate Christ and be in each moment with each person, each event and see if the worries of this life fade and get taken care of despite your "letting go."
Namaste'

No comments: