Sunday, December 16, 2007

Purpose

We are encouraged to give up ourselves, our will, to God. Most of us will have reservations about this process. I believe that finding God’s will is a much different process than most of us imaging that it is. Most us think it is about finding what God wants us to do for a living, the mate that is perfect for us, or the “right” place to live or go to church. This is not what it means to live in harmony with God’s will. We could actually find all those things and tell ourselves that we “are in God’s will” but still harbor anger, hate, worry, bitterness, judgment, unkind actions towards others, etc. We tell ourselves, “Why is this happening to me, I am doing God’s will.” We have very little peace. This is because obtaining peace has nothing to do with the circumstances of our lives or being in the right place doing the right things.
Being in God’s will has everything to do with having the “mind of Christ.” Peace has everything to do with our mindset and alignment with our Creator. Do we tell ourselves that we are not in God’s will and therefore lack peace because of things or circumstances are not working out? Is it really because things are not working out and we are not in God’s will, or because we do not have the mind of God and we are not thinking like our Creator. For example, if I do not like my job is it because I am not in God’s will? If I was I would love my job. However, could it be that because I am not in God’s will that I do not love my job? This means that because I do not view life with a God mindset and eyes it does not matter what I do or where I go - I will never find happiness, peace, or God’s will.
So can I look at what makes me unhappy about my job and look at it differently, with the mind of Christ? Can I serve my job instead of expecting it to serve me, love my boss instead of look at them with contempt, and see every opportunity to show kindness versus the need to be right? This would place me in God’s will and God’s purpose. We can apply this to any circumstance in our life. This can be done by confessing and realizing our faults. Confession is not about letting God know how we have wronged God, but really about opening our own minds up to the need for change ourselves. We must begin to see when we are out of alignment with God when we attempt to “swim up stream” against the flow of what God is doing in our lives. We will find purpose in our lives if we:

Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18
Remember that your purpose in life is not connected to what you do for a living, the mate you have, or having the right place to live. Your purpose is really about are you living and thinking like Christ. Are you showing kindness and caring to those around. No matter what you are "doing" you are giving your life away.
Namaste'

No comments: