Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Beauty

Jesus once again addressed them: "I am the world's Light. No one who follows me stumbles around in the darkness. I provide plenty of light to live in." John 8:12
"When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me. I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.
"As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. John 12:45-47
"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16
Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote in an essay on beauty, "There is no object so foul that intense light will not make beautiful." Jesus is our intense light. Jesus tells us that he came into this world and gave it light. He comes and God makes us beautiful! We no longer have to trip and stumble in the darkness of our own thoughts, our own worries, or our own lives! We take on the light of Christ and everything becomes beautiful. Do we allow Christ to illuminate our thoughts which will then effect our view of the world and those around us? We no longer have to worry about being foul or ugly. God came to give us light and make us beautiful.
If we have that light in us then we need to give this light to others. We cannot hide this light and God has placed us on a hill, on a stand to be seen by eveyone else who thinks they are ugly or foul. We can let them know that God thinks they are beautiful, we get to bring out the "God colors in the world." What is this light? I think it is our love, it is "because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:5 Do we love? I think that they way we show that we love God is not by building bigger buildings or having some huge ministry, but by loving each other - no matter who they are. Jesus reminds us that he came to the world, not to judge it, but that they world may be saved through Him, through the love that He shows. God loves us. God is love. We need to love. This is the light of God. This is our light.
Love others today. Bring out the God-colors in this world today. Be light to those around you who only see darkness. Prompt them to open up to God and His light by your love. Let them know that they are beautiful and that no matter how foul they feel they are, there is no amount of "foul" they can feel that intense love will not make beautiful.
Namaste'

No comments: