Sunday, November 09, 2008

Smoke Screens

Ever thought that we all use smoke screens to cover up things that we do not want to think about or know about ourselves. We all use them so that we will not have to look at our own behavior, but rather be able to judge others behaviors. We like to prove how right we are so that way we can avoid looking at what we are doing wrong. We "stand on our soap box" and tell people what things they should or should not be doing, all the while we are doing something that is not acceptable. In psychology we call this a projection. We projection onto others the things that make us mad about ourselves. Psychology also calls it a judgement. The cognitive process of reaching a decision. We most often come to judgements that are favorable to us. The bible calls it "smoke screens."

Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. It takes one to know one. Judgmental criticism of others is a well-known way of escaping detection in your own crimes and misdemeanors. But God isn't so easily diverted. He sees right through all such smoke screens and holds you to what you've done.
You didn't think, did you, that just by pointing your finger at others you would distract God from seeing all your misdoings and from coming down on you hard? Or did you think that because he's such a nice God, he'd let you off the hook? Better think this one through from the beginning. God is kind, but he's not soft. In kindness he takes us firmly by the hand and leads us into a radical life-change.
Romans 2:3-4
I often say to myself (because I need to remind myself a lot) and others, "when I or other people make a judgement about you that are saying nothing about you, but everything about themselves." When we make a judgement we are saying a lot about ourselves - what we are willing to tolerate, what makes us angry, what makes us sad, what makes us happy, what we allow to push our "buttons," and even what things we may not have dealt with yet in our lives. However, none of us "get off the hook" for these things, try as we might.
I am so glad that God is kind. God's kindness takes us by the hand and leads us to "radical life-change." I love this phrase. This radical life change begins with us accepting God's kindness. Accepting God kindness means that I have to be open minded to the reality that I am also a sinner loved by a kind God. If it were not for the grace of God, I could be the one someone is judging. As a matter of fact, the only difference between me and someone else that I think is "sinning," is that I recognize God loves me and is kind towards me. Since I can recognize this I am called, not to judge others, but to show them the kindness that God has shown me. This reminds me that I am constantly in need of love and kindness. To judge them, to constantly be worried about having to show others how they are "sinning," keeps me from seeing my own sin - it is a smoke screen.
So today practice compassion for others by being kind and loving as God is to you. Practice kindness and love for yourself by not judging others creating a smoke screen so that you do not have to think about yourself and what is happening with you. When we can clearly see ourselves radical life-change has to come.
Namaste'

No comments: