Friday, November 07, 2008

God Identity

How do we identify ourselves? At times I know that I like to identify myself through what I do for a living, how much money I may make, what other people's opinions are of me, or some standard that allows me to feel better about myself. When I think of myself in this way my ego is the thing in control of me. It is the way that I am identifying myself. This is a source of anger, fear, frustration, worry, anxiety, and negative thinking for me. It is not really me. It is not my identity.

"I tell you, love your enemies. Help and give without expecting a return. You'll never—I promise—regret it. Live out this God-created identity the way our Father lives toward us, generously and graciously, even when we're at our worst. Our Father is kind; you be kind.
Luke 6:35-36
To really live a God identity I have to let go of my ego, my ideas of what I think would make me feel good and measure up somehow. I have to be like Christ, who was God, but gave that up to become a servant to all. This is so hard for us to do. We live in a culture that is all about identifying ourselves through status, success, making others think we are ok, and that we are successfully part of some group that accepts us. We do not want to let this go. We hold onto to it for dear life, even though we think we don't, we do. I do it everyday that I worry about what people think about what I write. I do it everyday that I wonder if I have done enough to take care of my family and wonder if my wife loves me for it. I do it everyday that I wonder how successful my business is and how could I make if more successful.
All these things are about me, they are about my ego, they are about me attempting to identify myself outside of my real identity in God. My real identity is to be like Christ to let go of my ego and become a servant to others. I know that when I can do this scripture becomes alive in my life and I do not regret it. It is so scary for us to do this. We think we are in control of our lives, that we actually can do something powerful through our own ability. We think we have to be right and we forget how to be kind. We think we have to always be advancing ourselves doing something and we forget to stop and serve. It is counter to our way of thinking that service and generousity to others will bring us peace and joy, but it seems to be the way of Jesus.
Today you have a choice to be a hostage to your ego and live in fear, anger, and frustration - or be a host to God and live a life that you will not regret with peace and joy. It is a daily and most of the time a moment by moment choice to let go of ego. Practice today and let someone in line in front of you. Pick something up for someone. Do something for someone rather than asking them to do it. Pay for the person's meal in front of you in line. Give a thank you card. Live your real created identity today.
Namaste'

No comments: