Saturday, February 23, 2008

Need

You have all you need right now to be content and fullfilled. Let me say this again. You have all you need right now to be content and fulfilled. You do not need a raise, another job, a better friend, a better spouse, a move to a different place, or anything else you can think of. The first thought that most of us will have is "well you don't know my circumstances."

I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess—happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me. Not that you ever quit praying and thinking about me. You just had no chance to show it. Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. Philippians 4:10-13
Paul writes here that he does not have a sense of needing anything personally. He says here that he has found the recipe for being happy. In other versions it reads that he has found the secret to contentment. What is that secret recipe? It is finding our identity in Christ, in God. It is remembering that we are dead personally, that we have to die while alive. Dead things do not assert their personal needs. Dead things do not need anything. Dead things have to let other things go on living and allow something else control. God is the One who makes us who we are. Personally, we have no needs. This is such a hard place to get to. Our ego screams at us that we do need something, we do have to assert ourselves and make sure we live. Today, try to die. Allow others to be greater than you. Serve someone. When the ego wants to tell you that you need and that you will not be able to be happy or content unless that need is met, remember that the secret recipe is that you are a spiritual being that God is living through, your needs are already met. This will push away anxiety, anger, and frustration and let in peace, joy and love. This may be a moment by moment struggle, but one when practiced will brings a lifetime of contentment and peace and you will learn to be this way with little or with much. Let light live in you.
Namaste'

No comments: