Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Magical

So this afternoon I went and saw The Spiderwick Chronicles with my son. The last scene in the movie moved me to tears. You will have to watch the entire movie to know what I am talking about, but it was touching for me. Basically, Mr. Spiderwick spends his life searching for and chronicaling the magical creatures that lived all around but we can not see. He gets kidnapped during the movie and taken away by some of these magical creatures. His six year old daughter is left behind. The last scene he comes back 80 years later and says to her, "I am sorry I left you. I was so involved in looking at the magical creatures I had discovered I missed the most magical of them all." Not a direct quote, but close enough for you to get it. I was holding my son in my lap at that moment and just began to cry. I cried telling my wife about it. I am crying writing about it right now. I thought about how magical my son and wife are. They way they look at things, figure things out, grow emotionally, spiritually and physcially. The fascination they live life with and the true faith that my son has and acts on. They are truly magical and God has given me something truly magical to experience!

After looking at the way things are on this earth, here's what I've decided is the best way to live: Take care of yourself, have a good time, and make the most of whatever job you have for as long as God gives you life. And that's about it. That's the human lot. Yes, we should make the most of what God gives, both the bounty and the capacity to enjoy it, accepting what's given and delighting in the work. It's God's gift! God deals out joy in the present, the now. It's useless to brood over how long we might live.
Ecclesiastes 5:17-19
How I so much do not want to miss out on the magical creatures around me - my son and my wife! To remember that we all need to enjoy this life and make the most of what is handed to us instead of looking for something else to be magical. If we do look for other things to offer us magic and fullfillment - work, money, things, other people's opinions - we miss out on what God has actually given us. Do not miss out on it. Enjoy the magical creatures around you more than noticing those "magical creatures" outside of you. This is where God is dealing "out joy in the present, the now."
Namaste'

1 comment:

Matt Roden said...

Dude, I want to see that movie now!