Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sadness

Without sadness there would be no way for us to know what joy is. Even Jesus knew sadness.

When Jesus saw her sobbing and the Jews with her sobbing, a deep anger welled up within him. He said, "Where did you put him?"
"Master, come and see," they said. Now Jesus wept.
The Jews said, "Look how deeply he loved him." John 11:34-36
So what do we do when we are sad? I only have one answer for myself - look to God. Remember that God is everywhere, in everything, and in everyone. When I am sad it is usually because I am wanting to enjoy my life in the way that I want to enjoy my life. This means that I am having a hard time accepting things just as they are. When I do this I miss the joy in life. I miss the moments that I have been given to enjoy. I fail to see everything as God's gift.
After looking at the way things are on this earth, here's what I've decided is the best way to live: Take care of yourself, have a good time, and make the most of whatever job you have for as long as God gives you life. And that's about it. That's the human lot. Yes, we should make the most of what God gives, both the bounty and the capacity to enjoy it, accepting what's given and delighting in the work. It's God's gift! God deals out joy in the present, the now. It's useless to brood over how long we might live. Ecclesiates 5:18-20
I must realize today it is useless to brood over how long I may live, how I want to live, and how I would like for life to be different somehow. I need to make the most of what I have been given. My brooding brings me sadness. My mindfulness of the moment brings God's joy. Understand and know your sadness and let it bring joy today.
Namaste'

No comments: