Sunday, January 13, 2008

Meditate

You can change the way your brain processes the world and the way that your brain is wired in just two weeks with daily quiet meditation and prayer 20-30 minutes a day. You will be able to find more happieness and joy. Your mind will be able to focus on things outside of this time that you have focused your attention on when you have this time. So people who focus on things like kindness, joy, peace, abundance, beauty, creativity, expansiveness, and love with find themselves less focused on the material things of this world and more focused on being kind and loving to others and thankful for the things that they have. To me this is living in connection to God and the practice of becoming more Christ like each and everyday.

Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that. Ephesians 5:1
How can we watch what God does unless we are connected in spirit to God? We get what we think about, and what we think about expands. If you really believe this then you will be really careful about what you are thinking about. If I spend my day thinking about the things I do not have, the people I am mad at, how angry I am that someone did something rude to me, how things should not happen this way - how will I feel? Angry, sad, depressed, dissapointed, somehow overall - bad. It is because what I have gotten what I have thought about all day. This also expands, so since I feel angry, upset, or worried somehow I will act this way towards others. I will be short with someone, angry with someone who does not deserve it, yell at my kids without thinking and the people who have this interaction with me may withdraw from me, be angry at me, treat me with disrepect - so what I have spent all day expands and I get it!
The opposite is also true. If I spend my day thinking about what I am thankful for, focus my attention on loving others, being kind, see the beautiful things in life I will feel joy, peace, and love. I get what I think about here also. It also expands. The people that I treat with kindness return the favor to me or to the next person they meet, they learn how to love, they meet someone with the spirit of God and let kindness and love in. They may allow God in! So I get what I think about and it also expands here. This is why one of my favorite verses in all of scripture is this -
Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies. Philippians 4:8-9
I love the last verse. If we meditate on these things we will be worked into God's "most excellent harmonies." Wow! How I would love to be work into the music of God who makes it all work together perfectly! I become connected to God through my thinking. When I think differently, I feel different, I act different and those around me treat me different and God is allowed to work in my life and their life. God is allowed to work because I begin to see God everywhere. God did not go anywhere, I just could not see God because my attention was on things that God does not work in - frustration, angry, worry. However, when I can change my thinking and literally rewire my brain I see God everywhere.
Namaste'

No comments: