Wednesday, January 23, 2008

God's

Today I had to go to the accountant and pay my quarterly taxes for the end of the year. I do not like it. The accountant and I joked about what a great rebate it would be if I was able to not pay those taxes today and be free to spend it on whatever I wanted. I thought to myself, "that would be great!" However, we all know that this will not happen, so I wrote out the checks to our federal and state goverment. This whole thing made me think of a portion of scripture:

That's when the Pharisees plotted a way to trap him into saying something damaging. They sent their disciples, with a few of Herod's followers mixed in, to ask, "Teacher, we know you have integrity, teach the way of God accurately, are indifferent to popular opinion, and don't pander to your students. So tell us honestly: Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"
Jesus knew they were up to no good. He said, "Why are you playing these games with me? Why are you trying to trap me? Do you have a coin? Let me see it." They handed him a silver piece.
"This engraving—who does it look like? And whose name is on it?"
They said, "Caesar."
"Then give Caesar what is his, and give God what is his."
The Pharisees were speechless. They went off shaking their heads. Matthew 22:15-22
What really is God's? I started thinking that I am God's! I am the Creator's child. I am in the possession of the Creator. However, there are many times that I think I am my own person - a rugged individual who make his own way. We earn that money, it is ours to keep because it tells us we are worth something and we can get things with it. It is not our's or even God's, it is a thing in this world that someone, something in this physical world owns. Let them have it! The more we attempt to hold onto it, the less of us there is to be possessed by God! We need to give ourselves to God, our life, our inner person. We must see ourselves as God's because we all are God's. Some of us may recognize it and some of us may not, but it is a reality. We are God's! When we do not recognize it we attempt to define ourselves through some kind of physical, tangible sign - our possessions, our career, others opinions - and we give ourselves to those things. So today someone else can have what is theirs and I will give myself to the one who owns me. Remember today that you are God's and let all other things go to whom they belong and give yourself to the one who already owns you!
Namaste'

No comments: