Thursday, April 17, 2008

Yoke

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:29-30
Jesus says that his yoke is easy and his burden is light. What the heck is God talking about here? How many of us experience life as easy and light? I think that Jesus is asking us here to first take on his yoke? Exactly what is that yoke? In Jewish tradition it is said that you would take on the yoke of a certain teacher if you sat under his teachings. So, for instance, if we were using this word today it could be said the yoke you have taken on is the yoke of your pastor or whatever person you get your spiritual teaching from.
So the question you have to ask yourself first is - have you really taken on the yoke of Christ? Have you really learned from him and apply his teachings to your life? When you do life can become easy and light. It may not seem this way in the beginning because God actually calls us into a life that requires us to work on our inner self. Remember Jesus saying this:

"Listen, and take this to heart. It's not what you swallow that pollutes your life, but what you vomit up." Matthew 15:10

We must change our heart. The heart is that inner dark place that most people refuse to look at, spend time running from, and actually use their religion to deny that this place actually exist. This is the place that Jesus asks us to look at and change. This is hard work, but once it is begun and understood life can become easy and light. This dark place in us begins to actually inform us about ourselves and the world around us. It helps us make better choices in the now we experience. It helps us accept God’s grace. It helps us understand the teaching of God and the ways and reasons behind his sayings, like all things work together for good to them that love God and are called according to His purpose. We become conscious and live in the world alive, creative, and as an individual knowing the purpose and dream and God place in us since we were created. This is an easy and light life. To live out of my sense of purpose and give my life away doing not only what God has called me to do – but what I love to do! Read the verse at the beginning of this blog in the Message version in light of what you have read:

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
Namaste’

No comments: