Sunday, January 18, 2009

Recognize

Would we recognize Jesus if he was walking on the earth today? What exactly would we be looking for in a person who would claim to be the Messiah and the Saviour of the world? I wonder if we would miss that he was right in the middle of us? I wonder if we would be like the pharisees and question who exactly this person is because we would not be able to recognize him?

When Jews from Jerusalem sent a group of priests and officials to ask John who he was, he was completely honest. He didn't evade the question. He told the plain truth: "I am not the Messiah."
They pressed him, "Who, then? Elijah?"
"I am not."
"The Prophet?"
"No."
Exasperated, they said, "Who, then? We need an answer for those who sent us. Tell us something—anything!—about yourself."
"I'm thunder in the desert: 'Make the road straight for God!' I'm doing what the prophet Isaiah preached."
Those sent to question him were from the Pharisee party. Now they had a question of their own: "If you're neither the Messiah, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet, why do you baptize?"
John answered, "I only baptize using water. A person you don't recognize has taken his stand in your midst. He comes after me, but he is not in second place to me. I'm not even worthy to hold his coat for him."
John 1:19-27
Jesus did not come and take a stand that was noticed by anyone, except those who were spiritually perceptive, like John the Baptist. Jesus did not come to establish a kingdom of this world, or to take over as the spiritual leader of the jewish customs. Jesus came to establish a new order of love that no one took notice of except the people that were in desperate need of that kind of love. This sacrifical service and love did not place Jesus in second place, but made him so powerful and wonderful that John felt like he would not be able to even hold his coat. He would not be able to serve him!
So I wonder if we would really recognize Jesus if he showed up today and walked around our community? What would we be looking for? Someone to take over politically? Someone who would show the world its moral failures? Someone who would be on television making a big powerful speech? I wonder if Jesus would do just what he did here. I wonder if he would just begin with a few people and attract crowds through his love. I wonder if that would even attract a crowd today?
Namaste'

No comments: