Friday, January 09, 2009

Missing the Point

Ever missed the point? What is the point of life? Are we missing the point?

"You have your heads in your Bibles constantly because you think you'll find eternal life there. But you miss the forest for the trees. These Scriptures are all about me! And here I am, standing right before you, and you aren't willing to receive from me the life you say you want.
"I'm not interested in crowd approval. And do you know why? Because I know you and your crowds. I know that love, especially God's love, is not on your working agenda. I came with the authority of my Father, and you either dismiss me or avoid me. If another came, acting self-important, you would welcome him with open arms. How do you expect to get anywhere with God when you spend all your time jockeying for position with each other, ranking your rivals and ignoring God?"
John 5:39-44
We all get worried about the approval of the crowd. We all think about how to "jockey" for position with each other, how to be the best, and how to make things work for us. We read our Bibles thinking about how it will lead us to some kind of eternal life, if we could just "unlock" the secrets of the scripture we will find what we have always wanted. We miss the point that the entire scripture is about Jesus. Our point in life is to live a life that is like Jesus, which means that we may not get others approval at all. We would do that things, make the decisions, and life a life like Jesus. We are not to worry about what position we have, how to get it, or what people may seem really important. We are to make our life move and live in the spirit of God.
This will not come with everyone's approval and getting to rank who is the best and fighting for that position. It will come with us understanding the point of sacrifice and love.
Namaste'

No comments: