Saturday, March 01, 2008

Salvation

What I'm getting at, friends, is that you should simply keep on doing what you've done from the beginning. When I was living among you, you lived in responsive obedience. Now that I'm separated from you, keep it up. Better yet, redouble your efforts. Be energetic in your life of salvation, reverent and sensitive before God. That energy is God's energy, an energy deep within you, God himself willing and working at what will give him the most pleasure.
Philippians 2:12-13 (The Message)
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
Philippians 2:12-13 (New International Version)
Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him. Philippians 2:11-13 (New Living Translation)
I have put three versions of this passage to really help drive home the point that Paul is making to us. I am finding that putting energy in my life of salvation, working out my salvation, and letting others see the results of my salvation is hard work. Everyday I struggle with putting to death the ego I have. I find myself being selfish, or maybe more and more aware of how it is working in me. I must become more aware of it so that He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less. (John 3:30) That is what salvation means to me. It is not only a saving of my soul from damnation, but truly is Christ at work in me redeeming every part of me - my emotions, my relationships, my physical body - every part to be more like Christ who is God. I find that the more I practice at putting myself aside, the harder my ego struggles to remain in control. My ego want to be the one who tells me how I should feel about myself. The ego wants to continually assert itself and manage my life based on others opinions, my work, and the things I have. I obey God with a deep reverence, hope and fear because as I do I am allow God, who is in the process of redeeming everything back to Himself, to be the One that has power over me to do what is pleasing and will give my Creator the most pleasure.
I am hoping to find others who are willing to take this journey with me. I hope that others who count themselves as Christ followers are willing to work out their salvation and make it something that impacts their day to day lives. People who are willing to make an inward journey of transformation so that Christ can really be seen by those who need to know love, joy, kindness, hope, beauty, peace, and grace. This is a hard journey that requires a true look at ones self and be willing to set selfishness and ego aside, so that God's image can be seen by all. God's true image of love, peace, joy, hope, creativity, receptivity, kindness, and abundance. This is a journey that many people who call themselves Christ followers are not willing to take. Many just want to make sure that their "ticket is punched" and entry into heaven is assured. This is not Christ's call. Christ call is to come be light to a world - die to self, be humble, show love, show kindness and compassion - a world that cannot see anything but darkness - hoplessness, anger, hate, destruction, sadness. This can only be done by becoming light ourselves and this is the work of salvation, the results of salvation, and the energy salvation. This is an inward journey that needs to happen before the world can see light. When this is not done, the world remains dark. My challange is that you take this journey and not worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? Let's look at ours.
Namaste'

No comments: