Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Congruent

How congruent are we in our lives? True spirituality comes from being real and honest. The real and honest behavior is not for show. I can stand up and say that I love others and that I am compassionate with others. However, if I go out and drive to home and curse at someone under my breath, give them the finger, or call them a name because someone was driving in a manner that I did not like - am I really loving and compassionate? Congruent means "coinciding exactly when superimposed." So if we superimposed our private lives over our public persona how matched up would it be? Jesus reminds us to be congruent.

"Watch yourselves carefully so you don't get contaminated with Pharisee yeast, Pharisee phoniness. You can't keep your true self hidden forever; before long you'll be exposed. You can't hide behind a religious mask forever; sooner or later the mask will slip and your true face will be known. You can't whisper one thing in private and preach the opposite in public; the day's coming when those whispers will be repeated all over town."
Luke 12:1-3
We all get found out one day. I am not saying here that we should all be perfect. I am saying that we should practice being aware of how we are in both "public" and "private." When I am alone in the car, in line at the fast food counter, or at the store by myself in a long line - how will I act and respond? Will it be different if I knew someone was looking? Would it be different if I was standing with my friends or my family members? Do I get to be loving and kind one place and not another and tell myself that I am those things? This is the inward work of our spirituality and the more congruent our lives are in this manner the more joy and peace we have. The less congruent, or in alignment, these things are the more anxiety, fear and frustration we will have. Become more aligned with God today. Treat others with the congruent behavior of what you tell yourself you are. Remember whose and who you are. Practice being in alignment and notice when you get out of alignment. This is hard work. It requires honesty and feedback from others that we actually allow in and listen to. Salvation is here and it lives in you if you allow Christ to take you on this inward journey.
Namaste'

No comments: