Thursday, May 07, 2009

Responsibility

I just heard a great definition for responsibility - to not blame anyone or anything for the circumstances of your life. To not cast blame out to others or circumstances is the way to take responsibility for your life. How many of us do not do this? I know that I can find myself saying things like "Well if that would not have happened I would not have to be going through this." I know that I have also said to myself "if that person just could have done this instead, I would not have to be facing this." It is so hard for us to take responsibility for our lives and realize that no matter what happens or who we encounter and the decisions they make - it is still up to us to make choices and decisions about our own lives.

Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.
Galatians 6:4-5
Our only responsibility is to look at our own life, do what we have been given each day to do and do that will all that we are - to sink into it, immerse ourselves in it. We cannot blame others or circumstances for where we are in life. We each make decision about how to handle these circusmstances and others each time something happens. Yes, even saying that you are not responsible for what happens to you is a choice that you are making to not live your own life creatively that best you can. Sure things happen that we cannot control, but how will you respond? Will this be a opportunity to propel you forward in life, or will you choose to stay exactly where you are and blame something else? If you choose the latter, do not wonder why you ask yourself the question "Why can I never seem to move forward" or "Why do these things keep happening to me."
Namaste'

No comments: