Friday, May 15, 2009

Patience Works

So about two days ago I wrote a blog about the practice of patience. I discussed that I was waiting for something to "show up" by the end of the next day. Well it did not. However, I decided to practice patience and count it as something to learn from rather than something to be dissappointed in. I did not worry. I did not take my energy and use it in the process of attempting to control something that I had no control over. I was able to remember that I am a spiritual being having a human experience and let go of the need to have something when I thought I should have had it. I have to be and practice patience. This verse became real on Thursday:

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
James 1:2-4
and the Message Version of it:
Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.
James 1:2-4
Patience had its perfect work with me this week because I allowed it to. What I thought I needed did not "show up" until Thursday after lunch, and guess what - I did not need it until then anyway! It was the most amazing experience to be totally detached from the outcome of this and just enjoy the moments that I was in. I played ball with my son, ate lunch with my wife, played in my son's room and wrestled with him, talked to my wife and son, laughed and played! This was all on Wednesday after I could have been disappointed about this thing not showing up when I thought it should. I was energetic and happy Thursday morning completing another chapter in my book, listening to something that I needed to hear to finish that chapter, and looking forward to my day. I was totally learning that I cannot get anything I want before it is time for it to come. I had "let go and let God." Then it shows up! When I needed it and not before!
I am not saying this was easy. I am saying that I learned a great deal! I learned about my faith life. It was forced into the open. I practiced patience and it brought me more maturity and clarity. I am hopefully better than I used to be. So why not practice patience. Let things happen as they need to. This does not mean stop working or doing, but just work and do with what is placed in front of you at the moment, this day. God will handle the details.
Namaste'

No comments: