Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Practice of Patience

Today I am faced with this practice. Oh how hard it is to practice being patience and not trying to fix everything. My wife said to me last night, "stop trying to fix it." I think that she was telling me to live this verse without knowing that was what she was telling me:

Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.
If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves. Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open.
James 1:2-8
Hard to consider different test and challenges gifts, but I am sure that they are. I sit here today and right at this moment I do not need anything. There is nothing in this moment that I have to have to feel happy right now. There is something that needs to be here by the end of the day tomorrow, and I want it here right now. I have no idea how it will come. I want to find ways to make it show up right now so that I do not have to worry about it. I want to keep all my options open. I want to find my way out of this. I want to make it all feel good right now. However, I realize that I have this choice right now - to feel good. I am connected to the Creator of the universe and if I died this very moment, what I think I need to have tomorrow would not matter at all. It does not define who I am as a person. I am a spiritual creature having this temporary human experience and all this will pass and not matter soon.
The practice of patience leaves me with just enjoying the moment and casting thoughts, meditations, and prayers to God already thanking for the care that I have and will receive. I have no second thoughts that everything is just the way it is right now and perfect. Tomorrow will be the same. I must do what is place in front of me today to do, nothing more and nothing less. I must just do my best in the moment that I am given. I do not do my best by sitting and worrying, wondering, and waiting - this is less than what I need to do. I also do not need to go about attempting to "fix" or get out of the test prematurely - this is more than I need to do. I do my best by acting, working, praying, thanking, loving, and enjoying what is given right now. What a difficult but such a wonderful practice!
Namaste'

No comments: