Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Barn

What are you storing in your barn? We have a tendency to store up things in our garages, our houses, in storage units that we rent, and inside our own lives. However, most all these things will not be used by us, will soon be waste, and will not even be used by those we leave it for. We spend so much time accumulating stuff and things, both material and emotional, that we have room for nothing else. Listen and read this parable Jesus told:

Someone out of the crowd said, "Teacher, order my brother to give me a fair share of the family inheritance."
He replied, "Mister, what makes you think it's any of my business to be a judge or mediator for you?"
Speaking to the people, he went on, "Take care! Protect yourself against the least bit of greed. Life is not defined by what you have, even when you have a lot."
Then he told them this story: "The farm of a certain rich man produced a terrific crop. He talked to himself: 'What can I do? My barn isn't big enough for this harvest.' Then he said, 'Here's what I'll do: I'll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I'll gather in all my grain and goods, and I'll say to myself, Self, you've done well! You've got it made and can now retire. Take it easy and have the time of your life!'
"Just then God showed up and said, 'Fool! Tonight you die. And your barnful of goods—who gets it?'
"That's what happens when you fill your barn with Self and not with God."
Luke 12:13-21
We never know what is going to happen to us. We miss so many moments of our lives because we are busy "filling the barn" with things that will not matter. We even fill our barn with self. We fill it with our anger, frustration, and disappointed when things do not turn our like we think they should. We fill our barn with hurt and anger when people do not approve us of somehow. All this too will be stuff that fills the barn that will not matter when we leave this earth. We can be much more productive and satisfied by filling our barns with God daily. How do we do this? We are thoughtful, kind, loving, caring, serving, and with a mind more like Christ everyday. Fill yourself with God thoughts everyday. Fill yourself with God actions everyday. This will bring you peace that passes understanding.
Namaste'

No comments: