Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lifestyle

Lifestyle means a way of life or style of living that reflects the attitudes and values of a person or group. I prefer to describe myself as a follower of the way of Jesus. To me this means that there is a lifestyle that I am pursuing that reflects the attitudes, values, habits, and actions of my master - Jesus Christ. Jesus came to not only rescue and restore us to our original condition so that we would live in union with God when our body dies, but to teach us a way of living that brings hope, life, restoration, joy, peace, abundance, patience, love, kindness, and salvation now.

"And you know the way to where I am going.”
“No, we don’t know, Lord,” Thomas said. “We have no idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is.
From now on, you do know him and have seen him!”
John 14:4-7
My challenge to you is to read the book of Matthew, specifically chapter 13, and look at all the ways that Jesus describes the "Kingdom of Heaven." These parables are not about one day out there you will receive something. These parables are full of the mystery of living the way of Jesus today. These parables are about living the way of Jesus as a lifestyle and there in finding heaven right here on earth. I am not saying that salvation does not include going to heaven. I am saying that if we just narrow it to that concept we are missing out on what Jesus came for:
"I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of."
John 10:10
However, this life only comes by living the way, the lifestyle of Jesus. Living the way of Jesus is really about having a lifstyle - attitudes, values, beliefs, actions - that identify us with our Master. Your challenge is to look at the way that Jesus lived life and see if you, if we can work on living that kind of lifestyle. Do we forgive others easily? Do we treat others with kindness? Do we love others without condition? Do we have the faith of a child? Do we allow God to work as God needs? Do we live in the moments that are given to us? Do we humble ourselves? Are we willing to give our lives away to others? Do we think of others before we think of ourselves?
This is a lifestyle that can be lived in each moment. Would you let someone cut in front of you in line in traffic or the store, or would you want to say "that is not fair" and assert your rights? Would you forgive someone that has hurt you and not join them in their anger and cause more hurt? Would you be compassionate on someone, even someone in your family, that is having a hard day and understand and love them, or would you want to "set them straight?" Would you be peace where there is frustration - would you listen to someone who is upset and angry or try to get them to "shut up" and stop?
Jesus calls us into a lifestyle of living that reflects God. I wonder why Jesus said:
“I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father."
John 14:12
Namaste'

No comments: