Friday, September 16, 2005

Who Holds the "Plan" for our lives?

Here I am again watching one of those television evangelist. Why, I don't know, except I want to know what America is learning about God. This preacher was talking to a group of students at a college chapel service and asked them to repeat the prayer and said "I reject the devil and his plan for my life. I accept Jesus and his plan for my life." I started to think, "Why do people, Christians, give the devil as much power as God?" Do we really have no control over our lives and have to let some unseen entity create, impose and direct a "plan?" I do think that God has a plan that he would like to see happen for all of us. However, I also believe that God gives people the power of choice, to decide how they will run their lives and what there "plan" is for that life. I seem to remember that Jesus did not force a plan on the rich young ruler who asked him how to go to heaven. Scripture records that the man walked away sad because he was unwilling to do what Jesus had asked of him. Then scripture records that Jesus turned to his disciples and talked to them. It does not record him chasing the man down and saying, "Hey you did not understand that I have a plan and you need to choose it, because if you don't your doing the devil's plan."
So I come to question the reasoning that says you must choose one or the other and that it is really not up to us at all. This reasoning that says that we are just the creator and his adversary's chess and checker pieces. We really do not have a choice and this must be what it is like if we follow the reasoning of the afore mentioned preacher. I think that it is sad that this is used as a way to explain our relationship to God and his creation. I see it as a way that none of us have to be responsible because it is either "God's plan" or "the devil made me do it." It allows people the opportunity to absolve themselves from any responsibility and choice for their behavior. It does not appear to follow what Jesus taught and actually did - allow people to make their own choices about their own lives. So who or what really holds the "plan" for our lives?

1 comment:

Mr.Carl.Lee said...

the coin of fate and destiny