Thursday, September 08, 2005

Does God Really Work Like That?

I am sitting here right now and looking at "The Healing Hour" with Richard and Lindsay Roberts and I am asking myself the question above. Does God really wait for me to give "them" a "seed faith" of a thousand dollars so that He will bless me? It just seems so fake and full of fear to make people give their money so that God will not be "mad" at them and not bless them. Now, I am not saying that God can't do anything he wants in anyway he wants, despite the person or message that is being portrayed, because he most definitely can. However, would Jesus be on the television asking us to give money so that he can send college kids to school, finance the repairs of the buildings or make sure that home school children would get their curriculum? Can we really picture Jesus on our television saying that he would only bless you if you "release your faith" and "plant a seed" and "sow your faith."
I sure believe that faith is a requirement of any spiritual life, but do I need to show it by giving or believing that I will be well and rich for the rest of my life? Is there something wrong with me if I get sick sometimes or struggle at times to make ends meet? Do I really lack faith and therefore disappointed God? They never really say this directly, but it sure is implied all over the place, isn't it? So this brings me back to my original question - What if grace is true? Does God really work like that?

2 comments:

Andrew Stone said...

I'm not really familiar with the god that most televangelists talk about. Their god seems to keep some sort of good/bad boys and girls list(s) based on who gives how much and to whom.

Sad, ain't it?

Romans 7 Ministries said...

Clint you have a great blog. Thanks for taking the time to share the things that God has shared with you. Regarding this post, it reminds me of a time I attended a Bible study with a woman who was struggling to overcome a lifetime of drug addiction. As we talked about God's blessings she said that she just had to thank God for all of His goodness and faithful blessings because in all of her life she had never been without some place to have a roof over her head and a place to take a shower. After that praise of hers I realized that she understood God's blessings better than I did because I had much but was looking for more while she had hardly anything but still saw God's godness, grace and blessing in what she had. In times like that I think about what Jesus said about God being pleased to reveal Himself to babes. In the world she did not amount to much and many would think that such people have nothing of value to offer but what she said brought tears to my eyes as I realized my poverty to recognize my own blessings. Then I remenbered Jesus words about giving away some of your possesions to others in this life so that in the life to come you will be welcome into their heavenly mansion at that time. I had a feeling that this woman was being prepared for quite a large inheritance in God's kingdom and that it would be wise of me to be kind and gracious to her in this life so that I might have the priveledge of being an invited guest in her mansion in days to come. As Jesus said, "In that day the first will be last and the last will be first." I feel sorry for these famous evangelists who abuse their positions but I thank God for the common struggling christians through whom we get true glimpses of God.