Sunday, March 22, 2009

Trapped

Ever felt that way - "trapped?" My favorite definition of trapped is to place in a confining or embarrassing position. How often do we feel like that? I think many times most all of us feel trapped. We feel as if there is no way out and that there are no decision that we can make to get ourselves to a new place of living or being. We feel out of control in our lives. We think that our lives are left to the whim of others around us, their decisions, and circumstances that are beyond our control. We feel hopeless, depressed, angry and sad. We tell ourselves that their is nothing that we can do to get out of where we are, it is hopeless. I would like to challenge this notion.
I went with my family yesterday to watch people ride horses in barrel races. We were there for about four hours. It was great to be outside in the sun, perfect temperature, and watch those beautiful animals walk, run, and race. Some were being riden by adults, and some horses by children under 10 years old. Everyone one of them were able to direct that horse and tell it where to go, how fast to go, and which way to turn because of the simple piece of metal in the horses mouth. Some of these horses were huge, and they were being controlled by little girls weighing less than 80 pounds! How could that happen? I mean if the horse wanted to it could just buck them off, refuse to walk or turn anywhere, and race for freedom. So why do these beautiful animals do what a little girl tells them to do? Because they BELIEVE they are trapped. They truly believe that they have no other choice! We see that they do, but they believe they do not. It is like having a two ton elephant tied up at the ankle with just a rope and a stake. Why does that elephant stay there? Because it too believes it is trapped!
We do that too! We can only see what is right around us and we believe that we have no choice, that we are trapped and we are at the bidding of others or circumstance. But are we?

"Believe me: I am in my Father and my Father is in me. If you can't believe that, believe what you see—these works. The person who trusts me will not only do what I'm doing but even greater things, because I, on my way to the Father, am giving you the same work to do that I've been doing. You can count on it. From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I'll do it. That's how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I'll do. "
John 14:11-14
If we truly believe what Jesus is saying here then we are not trapped! We are the holders and masters of our future! We not only can do what Jesus did, but greater things! We are not trapped, we are not at the whim of others, their opinions, or circumstances. We are what we believe, what we will be persistant at, and how we practice faith. (see recent post) If a horse, or any animal is trained over and over to believe it is trapped - it believes it. If we train ourselves through the constant repitition of thought that we are trapped - we are! We can also train ourselves through that same repititon of thought to know and believe that we are not trapped. When we do we will begin to see the routes to escape and freedom. We will begin to live the life that God created us for and that Jesus came for - life abundant! Stop believing that you are trapped.
Namaste'

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this topic, Clint. So many people feel they are trapped, and it is sad. However, as you point out, our Life in Christ is about FREEDOM! As long as we are in tune with God and with what He wants, we can live each day in Freedom and Victory - which is what He intends. We do not need to feel or be trapped! Thanks for the reminder! :)