Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Desperation

How desperate are you? When we become deperate we will find God there. Desperation is a loss of all hope. It is when we come to the end of ourselves and our ego. Have we ever been there? Have we ever been at a place where we were so desperate that we would do anything to find hope? Paul did:



At first I didn't think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it. Three times I did that, and then he told me, My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10


I am going to think that Paul was desperate to remove this handicap. He was begging God to remove this from him. It was in this desperation that he found God. It was here that he could say that he could appreciate the gift that he was given. It was in desperation that Paul could allow Christ to take over. It was in his desperation that he found out he needed to take things in stride and with good cheer. It was in his desperation that he allowed someone else to take over. It was in desperation that he found out that when he thinks he is weak he is actually becoming stronger.
In desperation we move towards God and in then we learn that God has all we need. It is in depseration, the loss of hope, that we search for something to find hope in. We begin to see that the "things" of this world are not important at all. We come into the world with "nothing" and we leave with "no things." Our only goal in the middle of our coming and our going is not to accumulate things, but to love and live life to the fullest. We are so deperate to remove any "bad" feelings, or circumstances, or anything that we deem "wrong" that we become desperate in our attempt to make it go away.
Here Paul, and we, learn that we do not need these things to "go away" as much as we need to learn from them and allow them to strengthen us. These things strengthen us by killing off our ego - the notion that we are in control and must define ourselves through things, titles, and others opinions. Let your desperation teach you something and move you to God, not away. When we are really desperate and coming to the end of hope in ourselves, like a person wanting water after days in the desert, then we will find and know God.
Namaste'